Edmondsley Primary School

We offer ‘30 hours childcare for working parents 9.00am-3.00pm’.

Edmondsley Primary School is housed in an attractive, modern, split level building adjacent to a purpose built nursery unit. We overlook open farmland and Waldridge Fell Country Park.

Our ethos promotes inclusion and equality in which every child is provided with the opportunity to achieve his or her full potential. Our Local Offer provides you with information and guidance on Special Educational Needs in the school.

To find out more about help with childcare costs please visit www.durham.gov.uk/childcarecosts

When is it on?

Time of day
Session information
8.55am - 3.10pm (KS1/Reception)
8.55am - 3.20pm (KS2)
9.00am - 3.00pm (Nursery - 15 hours provision over two and a half days)

Who to contact

Contact name
Jennie Anderson
Contact position
0191 371 0443

Where to go

Front Street
County Durham

Other details

Cost description
Please contact the school office for details
Age range
3-11 years old
Related links
Ofsted reports


Childcare availability
Before school
Term time
After school
Free 3/4 yr places
Free 2 yr places
Will be providing 30 hours

Vacancy details

Immediate vacancies?

Local Offer

Local Offer description

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Jennie Anderson. Our Governors with responsibility for SEND is Andrea Graham.

Edmondsley Primary School welcomes everybody into the community. We believe that the community should reflect an ethos of inclusion and equality in which every child is provided with the opportunity to achieve his or her full potential.

We are committed to narrowing the attainment gap between SEND and non-SEND students. 

If your child has Special Educational Needs we will:

  • Ensure the right support is put in place for each child.
  • Advise other staff on how to help each child and ensure they have an up to date Individual Support Plan detailing how their needs will be met in school.
  • Arrange training for staff so they understand each child’s need and provide appropriate tasks.
  • Work closely with parents on a regular basis to talk with them about their child’s needs and listen to any ideas or concerns they might have.
  • Work with other professionals (if necessary) who may be able to help individual children, for example Speech and Language Therapist /medical professional/Educational Psychologist.
Contact name
Angela Rees
Contact telephone
0191 371 0443
Contact email
SEND Information Report at Edmondsley Primary

How do you identify Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Children are taught at a level and pace suited to their individual needs and potential. If Quality First Teaching does not meet a child's needs then intervention strategies are employed, through the use of classroom assistants offering small group support. 

Further specialist help and advice from outside agencies is sought if required, for example Educational Psychology Service, Speech and Language Service etc.

How will you support my child with their special educational needs and disability?

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

We have has a large school field, a play ground and a large tennis court. There is an outdoor classroom for EYFS, a pond, an allotment and a woodland area. Our nursery unit also has extensive grounds which include a woodland area. All classrooms are spacious with a carpet. EYFS and lower KS1 provide a variety of practical skills based areas within the classroom setting. 

All children are taught at a level which is appropriate for their individual needs. Each class has a Classroom Assistant for a large portion of the day, and they work with smaller groups of children who have special educational needs.

How will you make sure my child's education meet their needs?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?

All lessons are differentiated to make sure each child can access the curriculum and make progress. 

If your child has special educational needs they will be provided with their own SEN Support plan which targets their specific needs. Targets will be SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and within a time frame). These targets will be incorporated into lessons. 

SEN Support plans will be updated each term and created with parents and the child, making sure everyone is working together to ensure progression and achievement. 

How will we know my child is progressing?

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

We view parents as partners and welcome regular meetings and contact. If your child has a SEN Support Plan, this will be created with you on a termly basis. Any resources you may need for home support will be provided for you by the school.

How will you support my child's overall wellbeing?

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

Through the Social and Emotional schemes of work, children are supported through the school's caring ethos. If your child is concerned about anything, they are encouraged to approach any member of staff or school councillors and feel supported. We offer a range of programmes that are beneficial to children's wellbeing such as Relax Kids, Emotional Literacy, Theraputic Story Writing and Connecting with Children. Parents will be contacted if there are any issues that the school feel you need to be aware of.

What specialist services and expertise is available at or accessed by the staff?

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

We offer access and links with all the typical educational and health need services such as Educational Psychology, Speech and Language, Occupational Therapy, Education Health Needs Team etc.

How are staff trained regarding SEND?

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?



What activities outside the classroom will there be?

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Any children who have difficulty in accessing outside activities will be supported by classroom assistants who will ensure your child is able to participate in his or her full curriculum entitlement - including school trips.

How will you support my child's needs?

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

Our main entrance and all classrooms are easily accessed by a path leading from the main road. There are steps leading up to the Infant porch, Junior porch and the main entrance. Most classrooms have fire exit doors leading outside which can be accessed by a small step.

My child is going to be starting or leaving soon, how will you help them?

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

We have strong links with local secondary schools and an extensive transition program exists for all pupils.

In addition to this there is a transition program which supports and includes vulnerable children. If your child is moving to a Specialist School then the school will ensure a smooth transition by providing supported visits. 

What is available to help my child with their education?

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Senior leaders and the SENCO make informed decisions about how Learning Support Staff are deployed. There is a SEN budget for purchase of specific resources to enhance learning.

If your child has an Education Health Care (EHC) Plan then parents are invited to be involved in deciding where and how the budget is spent.

What support can I expect for my child?

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

If your child has a SEN Support Plan, senior leaders and the SENCO decide how best to meet your child's needs with the support that is provided by the school. This could include extra support sessions, additional resources or support during lessons. 

If your child has Educational Health Care (EHC) Plan then the support provided will be specified on a percentage basis.

How will I be involved in my child's education?

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

The school view parents as partners and actively encourage their involvement in their child's education. In addition to regular meetings and creating their child's SEN Support Plan, the school also welcome any support they can offer in assisting us to meet their child's every need.


Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.
  • Edmondsley Primary School

Journey planner

Address: Front Street  Edmondsley  County Durham

Powered by Open Objects