Broom Cottages Primary and Nursery School is located on Broom Road, Ferryhill.

To find out more about help with childcare costs please visit

When is it on?

Time of day
Session information
Monday to Friday
8.45am - 3.05pm school
8.30am to 3.30pm nursery

Who to contact

Contact name
Patricia Hicks
Contact position
01740 651 363

Where to go

Broom Cottages Primary School
Broom Road
County Durham
DL17 8AN

Other details

Related links
Ofsted reports


Childcare availability
Term time
Free 3/4 yr places
Free 2 yr places
Will be providing 30 hours

Vacancy details

Immediate vacancies?

Local Offer

Local Offer description

Link to SEND Information report


Contact name
Patricia Hicks
Contact telephone
01740 651 363
Contact email
Broom Cottages Primary School - Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

How do you identify Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Identification of SEND:


Parents/Carers can contact the SENCO.

How will you support my child with their special educational needs and disability?

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

Early and continuous assessments identify needs, teacher will then plan to address the needs. This allows additional support to be provided if necessary. Teachers will inform parents/carers and then contact the SENCO. 

SENCO can refer children to any relevant agency e.g. Outreach support, Eductional Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, School Counsellor or EAL Team etc.

How will you make sure my child's education meet their needs?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?

Broom Cottages offers a highly differentiated curriculum following long term plans to allow the development of skills.

Children work on tasks suitable for their own level.

Support is available from highly qualified staff including teachers, teaching assistants and higher level teaching assistants.

Intervention work on a 1:1 or smaill group basis is available at point of need.

Staff use any targets provided by external agencies.

How will we know my child is progressing?

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Children are continuosly (formally and informally assessed). This allows staff to plan work at the correct level and ensure support is provided where it is needed.

We have an open door policy allowing parents/carers and staff to contact each other.

Support plans (if needed) are shared with written with parents/carers. 

Termly open evenings.

Annual reports.

How will you support my child's overall wellbeing?

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

School provides:

 Highly qualified staff

A school counsellor offering support at all times.

Referrals to outside agencies if necessary.

Reward schemes.

Good to be green - behaviour system.


What specialist services and expertise is available at or accessed by the staff?

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

Occupational therapy


Speech and Lanaguage Therapy


Educational Psychologist

ASC Team

EWEL team

Behaviour support

Movement service

Specialist provision e.g. teacher of the deaf

School counsellor

How are staff trained regarding SEND?

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

SENCo has completed the National Award for Special Educational Needs (NASEN).

A HLTA is a qualified counsellor.

Training is regularly undertaken, both in school and with external providers e.g. SALT, ASC, EWEL, OT and physiotherapy teams to ensure staff kept up to date with new advice and resources.


SENCO attends COL and SENCO Network meetings.

What activities outside the classroom will there be?

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

We are an inclusive school, all children regardless of age or need are encouraged to take part in all activities within school, including before and after school clubs and have equal access to the curriculum.

No child is ever prevented from attending school trips. Provision is made, additionals to relevant risk assessments are made and a key worker is nominated to take 1:1 responsibility for a pupil allowing them to access all opportunities.


How will you support my child's needs?

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

The school building is highly accessible to all.

We have an accessibility plan that is updated regularly.

At the main entrance there is a ramp that leads to push button electronic doors (push buttons at wheelchair height). Accessible toilets on ground and first floor, access to the first floor from a ramp or lift.

Access to key stage 1 and key stage 2 yards are via ramps, as is access to the nursery.

Teaching areas on the first floor are all on the same level.

My child is going to be starting or leaving soon, how will you help them?

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

Nursery to school and year group to year group - children have 3 days of transition visits during the summer term.

Key stage 2 to key stage 3 - we work closely with SENCOs and Heads of Year 7 and pastoral staff. All children that are transferring access visits to their new school but those needing extra support take part in extra small group visits.

What is available to help my child with their education?

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The school receives notional SEN funding as part of the budget allocation, the associated expenditure is explained on the school website as part of the local offer information. This is updated by the SENCO annually.

Pupils with an EHCP or Top up funding have individualised costed provision maps to show how any SEND funding is used to support their needs.

What support can I expect for my child?

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Decisions about the type and frequency of support are often made by staff members, external agencies and parents/carers.

During reviews of EHCPs staff and parents/carers discuss support.

Staff attend termly pupil progress meetings (by phase) to allow for feedback and further planning.

How will I be involved in my child's education?

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Join the friends of the school.

Volunteer to hear children read.

Become a school Governor.

(subject to pre appointment checks including DBS)

We encourage parents/carers to be as involved in school as possible.


Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.
  • Logo

Journey planner

Address: Broom Road  Ferryhill  County Durham

Powered by Open Objects