Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a:

  • disability
  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.  If you’re a part-time student your course intensity can affect how much you get.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance and don’t have to be repaid.

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

The current rates are published on the Gov.uk website.

Application forms and further information about Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are available on the Gov.uk website. They also publish a useful factsheet called Bridging the gap – a guide to disabled students’ allowances.

Powered by Open Objects